Saturday 10 February 2018

In The Limelight With Datin Sri Shaila V

Like Boggler Blogger's Facebook page by clicking the link below for more post!

One of the most prominent figure in the entertainment industry in Malaysia must be Datin Shaila. I have always wondered why she has drawn a lot of limelight in the industry. Was it because she is associated with a big political figure or is it because of her raw talent as an actress.

This was all before I started to get myself involved with people from the industry. As that begin to happen I started to understand that there is more to Datin Shaila than what I thought before. She started her career in the entertainment industry as an actress in Tamil Film Blockbuster called “Maindhan” in 2014 and followed that up with “Mayangaathey” in 2016.


This year, Datin Shaila will be releasing her debut album entitled “Yenathuyireh” which was produced by her own production company, Shaibha Vision. The said album will have 10 songs in total and it will feature talented musicians, singers, actresses and other professionals in the field.

Datin Shaila’s Instagram handle is @Shaibhavision. When asked about Shaibha Vision, she said:

Shaibha Vision is the production company I started to release my debut album, Yenathuyireh. In 2016, this company produced Mayangathey, one of the highest grossing Malaysian Indian movies in the industry alongside other good movies.

That cleared my doubts on what Shaibha Vision was all about. It is fantastic to see more individuals like this come up with productions companies. I believe an individual with a background in the film industry would be able to spot quality scripts and therefore, produce good films. Looking forward for more from Shaibha Vision.

That got me more curious to understand who Shaila Nair really was. The person behind all the fame and glamour, the person without the “Datin” tittle. Who really Shaila Nair is?

I am a normal Malaysian girl from a humble family who believed in the importance of a strong educational foundation. That is why I am a lawyer by profession and only pursued my passion in the entertainment industry after establishing my career as a corporate lawyer. I am still the same person after my marriage, which is why I continue to have the respect of my family & friends.”

Now it doesn’t surprise me on why Datin Shaila has always been able carry herself in manner which seemed very professional. Her career in law must have molded her to be someone very professional and of class as well. I never knew that Datin Shaila was a lawyer by profession first before she got herself into the entertainment world. 

I genuinely admire people who were brave enough to leave their career behind to pursue their passion but in this case Datin Shaila not only pursued her passion, but she also manages to strike a balance between her career as lawyer and still pursue her passion seriously.  My respect for her doubled upon knowing about this.

Coming back to the cinema related questions, I have always wanted to ask people to understand what is the biggest gap we need to bridge between directors and actors to audience to increase box office collections for films. When I pressed on this question, very modestly, Datin Shaila had this to say,

I believe that the Malaysian Indian movie industry has seen a positive and steady inclination towards better directing, music, acting and even technical excellences. However, it is undeniable that Malaysian audience have a wide-range of options when it comes to movies. 

Therefore, we as an industry should strive to create bigger and better films to be on par with foreign movies. One way to do so would be to produce more movies with a Malaysian appeal, that viewers can relate to, without compromising the quality of the film.

I believe this question can draw many different responses from other individuals in the industry andcan’t wait to hear all their thoughts. Realizing that I was speaking to a very strong and driven woman, I was curious to hear Datin Shaila’s thoughts on whether the Indian cinema is lacking female-centric films, be it India or Malaysia and given the opportunity would she be interested in playing roles like EVT, Aruvi or Taramani?

“I believe that the lack of female centric films as seen in other countries does not happen in Malaysia. We are very open to producing female centric films here in Malaysia and given a good script, I would love to do such roles.

I would always vote yes to have films which offers great scope to male and females as I believe that movies with good characters designs often yields in much more quality films. Speaking about female centric roles, I just had to ask Datin Shaila about her latest single “Pen Azha Vendam” and what inspired her to work on this project.



Pen Azha Vendam, my latest single in the Yenathuyireh album was released on the 5th February 2018.  I wanted to be part of this project because I strongly believe in the message behind the lyrics and the music video that takes a stand against violence against women, especially harassment in the workplace.

The music video was directed by the very talented BGW, a very hardworking person & someone who is very helpful. The song also features Vikadakavi Magen & Aneetra which turned out very well
The very beautiful Subashini Asokan stars in this music video. I would also like to thank all the talented and gorgeous celebrities who appeared for this music video such as Jasmin Michael, Pushpa Narayanan, Olimathi, Shamini (karate), THR Revathi and Sushmeeta Murugon to name a few.

I had a feeling that this music video echoes sentiments of feminism and it prompted me to ask her this final question. Does Datin Shaila consider herself to be a feminist and how does she define feminism.

Yes, I do. Everyone who believes in equality are feminists. For me, feminism means that men and women deserve equal rights, opportunities and rewards. It is important that we are feminists and that we raise the future generation to be feminists because even in 2018, there is still violence and inequality committed & can be seen sadly and now is the time to be the change we want to see in the future.

What a brilliant way to end this interview session and I can’t thank enough Datin Shaila for making some time and conducting this interview session with me. Before I ended the session, I had asked her on who she thought Boggler Blogger should interview next and very promptly she said:

Thila Laxman

So Thila Laxman are you ready to be interviewed by Boggler Blogger?

"Pen Azha Vendam" Music Video was released on 5th February 2018 and you may click the link below to watch it.




Like Boggler Blogger's Facebook page by clicking the link below for more post!

No comments:

Post a Comment